Pages

Friday, October 31, 2008

Watch your own heart attack from British Heart Foundation

I was in a train, coming back from an interview in London when we stopped in Wakefield. I was tired and pretty anxious to get home and thought this stop takes forever. I was surprised to find this poster rather striking: It invited you to watch your own heart attack on TV!

I have to say I am usually banning commercial messages from my conscious mind at any time I can, but I have always had a weakness for black. I have a black theme for Mozilla, a black skin for Winamp, a black-based desktop background and now, with the new version of Yahoo Messenger, I can choose a black layout for that too.

Plus, who does not want to see their own heart attack on TV? We all have this morbid curiosity towards everything related to death, especially if we are talking about our own.

So, this message, caught my eyes:



I have never been able to memorize things very well and, on top of that, I can never arrange my schedule after something that is on TV. If it happens to be there and it's entertaining, it's fine, if not.. well.. I will never know what I lost anyway, right? Now, thank god for BBC's iPlayer, but that is another story in itself.

So, I saw this and thought it could be interesting to watch. Of course I forgot the time, the place and I don't know why, but today I remembered that and I looked it up. I found a 2 minute TV spot that is purely brilliant to watch.

British Heart Foundation wanted people to forget all about the Hollywood-type heart attacks that you see in movies: Your chest hurts and 2 seconds later you drop dead. They wanted to make people understand there are all sorts of early symptoms that people can react to quickly and in time to save lives.

I believe Steven Berkoff's acting is extremely good, credible and has that drama that blends well with authority.



The ad was played only once on a Sunday evening on ITV1 (national coverage) for 2 minutes (quite long for an ad, but given the fact that is was a one time, it could also be very efficient) during Midsomer Murders reaching 6.5m viewers.

No comments: