Pages

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

freak "mind-ology"



I was talking to a guy I know about man, as a human being and how much of our lives is affected by our parents and all the things that happen in our childhood. I always found that extremely fascinating, as I can merely remember anything since I was a kid. But still, every word and every gesture holds a record in our brain.

But, what if we were to raise a child, since the day he is born into complete isolation from any human contact ? What would he/she be like in 20 years time if taken out of his "cage" and put into a social event ?The idea itself is monstrous and I am not able to imagine that somebody could actually do an experiment like that, but I am merely curious about what kind of behavior would drive this being. Speaking hypothetically and of course giving reasons.

We all grow up to be the persons we are because we choose role-models to follow, we feel the need to be appreciated by a certain group of individuals and for that acceptance we are capable of great sacrifices. We seek approval and we chase away punishments, no matter if they are physical or mental. We learn in school years how to listen to a higher authority and how to be a team-player. What would this kid do ? It would only be instincts, could we even say that he has a personality, as personality is formed in the social process of encountering other personalities, bumping to hard ones, killing soft ones, ending up on your own and analyzing what you choose to be like, how to act in a certain environment. It's all about choices and this person would have no choice to make.

What would be "purely instinctive" ? I try to imagine such a being and all that comes into my mind is a white person, having no cultural stereotypes, no cultural norm to judge by. Its feelings would just exist on itself. It would be a wonder and also a big mistake to deprive any human of its inner construction as a social existence.

No comments: