Pages

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Getting to know more of UK

Hey there !

i have got to continue with my information about UK. I have to admit that since we've got internet I have been in touch with all my friends and family from back home. At least, most of them. It feels good. All the things I was bored with don't seen meaningless anymore, on the contrary, every word, every emotion is overwhelming. It's like taking ecstasy all the way. For hours in a row. Buses, routes, smiles, dresses, underwear, sneakers, Lennon and Google all mixed up right in your face, knocking at your front door. But you can't find the keys.

Administration regarding Romanian working conditions is chaotic. Nobody knows what is happening, especially the people from the Home Office - who are responsible for these papers. Because Romania is a member state in the European Union, but not quite, when it comes to work. Actually, they are just protecting against uneducated people that might come into UK and work for nothing. As there are schemes, like the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme, that allow people who have the experience and the education (also a big salary) to apply for unconditioned work permits. Nice, as long as you are making 7500 pounds a year in Romania and have a Master of Science, plus one year experience. Nice...

I can't do anything - get a job, a UK bank account (that you need to pay bills with), a National Insurance Number (paying tax to UK government) until I register at the University.

Yesterday I was drinking a coffee at the university coffee shop and eating a brownie. A huge one, as a matter of fact, I found it impossible to finish it all. English people have a thing for cookies, muffins, biscuits, jaffa cake, waffles etc as I have no idea how are called all the hundred things they have over for coffee. Even i have been hating sweets all my life, in the 2 weeks I have been here, I've been eating more cookies than in my entire life. Besides tea, which is (thank God for all their colonies, a friend always says) extremely tasteful, the cookies are not made out of plastic.

So, enough with the cooking, let's get down to business. I am going to bed. Too much happiness for my hungry heart for one day. I am getting old, I should avoid shocks. :)

Cheers !

No comments: