Last week I donated blood. Even there were many times when I wanted to do that in Romania, I had no idea where I could that, so, as I am very afraid of needles, I always postpone it to a further date, that I tried to forget about.
But here, in Leeds, it's in your face, right on the main boulevard, The Blood Donor Centre. And these people that are incredibly nice and polite, not because they want to sell something or trick you with something, just because they are. You don't get any money, just a snack and some refreshments afterwards, as you need to be on as many fluids as you can.
So, I have to admit that I was pretty amazed that there were dozens of people giving blood or asking for details about giving blood. Young people, not homeless people or alcoholics or old people trying to get buy another day. That is how things are in my home country. Of course I cannot deny that there are a number of citizens that donate blood because they want to help, but I am talking about the majority.
Anyway, I told everybody that I was a "first timer", so they should know I am scared to death. This nice guy, around 40, sits next to me and we start talking about a trip he had to Eastern Europe and remembers Romania for being incredibly beautiful, with seaside and mountains, but also scary Transilvania, with its depressions and low altitude clouds, that you swim through. Then we got to talking about Prague and beer and bratwursts. He had this amazing recollection of everything.
It hurt a little bit when the needle pinched my arm and my heart went racing. He asked me if I am feeling fine, as I didn't say anything for a while. I was only expecting to feel sick or tired, but I could feel nothing. Except that I was one of the many people trying to help other people.
My donating time was pretty low, I filled a pint in 8-9 minutes, while there was a lady, he told me, that could be ready in 4 minutes and he donated the day before in only 6. It is not a competition, you must know, but it makes it more fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment