Pages

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Gone Baby Gone by Ben Affleck

Saw a movie today, Gone Baby Gone, first time directed by Ben Affleck and played by his brother, Casey Affleck. To be honest, Morgan Freeman was the one who convinced me to see the movie, as there is not a single bad role played by this man.



The movie investigates the kidnapping of a little girl, Amanda. The world of drug addicts, poor neighbourhood and colourful language is presented rather straight forward, without any embellishment or high action movie scenes. There are shootings involved and some blood, but not excessive, nothing vulgar and especially nothing that would make me think this movie was ever intended to be a high street blockbuster. Sentimentalism has no place here, even this world could be portrayed in so many ways.

The movie is made after Dennis Lehane's novel, which is Ben Affleck's favourite book. If I had his money, I would probably direct my favourite book also. The two brothers did a good job, Casey's acting lacks something that I cannot quite pinpoint, but Ben's directing has pleasantly surprised me.

The movie has a brilliant end, not so much in the action side, but more of a ‘would you play GOD if you could’ kind of thing. Interesting dilemma, I could never say unless I am actually in a real-life situation.



No comments: