Google's YouTube has organised a live streaming event on 22nd of November in San Francisco featuring artists that have become recognised in the YouTube community, therefore owners of those clips that have been extensively been viewed on YouTube and have launched their career due to the exposure received through the site.
To name a few, Bo Burnham is an 18 year old comedian who has loads of talent: he taught himself how to play guitar, piano, he has a good voice, good acting, great sense of humour and not the least THE looks. He started writing autobiographical songs in 2006, such as 'My Whole Family Thinks I’m Gay' and decided to record them as videos, posting, of course, on YouTube. The rest of the story is at a click away. It is quite easy to see why he is star material. In June 2007 he has released an EP, 'Bo Fo Sho' that can be bought from his webpage. Just doing a simple search on YouTube, you can see 3 of his clips clips have over 2 million viewers and one with almost 5 million!!!
Funtwo (as he is known on YouTube) is a Korean 24 year old singer who is currently studying Information Systems in Auckland. In 2005 he posted Johann Pachelbel's Canon, a piece of classical music, that currently has more than 52 million views!!! This year Funtwo has released a digital single album, 'Happy Birthday'.
Searching for Katy Perry's YouTube Live performance, I was surprised to see that that in 2 days her live video for Hot N Cold has over 2 million views! Powerful tool indeed.
Even though Google has not been using YouTube to regain the money paid for it, I think the idea behind this is a good one, with a posibility to become a true event in the future. The problem lies with the heterogenous crowd of artists that performed. I am fine with watching the videos of parts I am interested in, but I would never go into the audience and phisically participate at such an event. There is no focus. I can appreciate all the people from this planet come to YouTube and watch very different things, but for such an event to take place, you need to make a key point not several.
In the end, I will leave everbody with a very nice performance from Bo, it's called Welcome to YouTube and it makes fun of life before and after YouTube, its users and how it changes habits.
No comments:
Post a Comment