was talking with P once about how my life would have been and shaped me as a person if I would have been born in England. It is weird to think of what I would have been like in an alternative scenarios, but I think the way my life has turned out after 4 years and a half in the UK makes me wonder.
Looking back at my school days, I have always liked numbers and maths and finding solutions to problems, but I have also been quite good with words. And because most people went on to study maths, economics, IT I wanted to rebel and do something different.
For those days in Romania, communication and journalism was something very different. Years later in England, I realised this isn't something different at all and that if I were to grow up in here I wouldn't have gone for that at all.
I would've maybe gone for something that I really wanted to do, or something that attracted me, but because of the limited options in Romania and the expectation of me to do something considered worthy, such as science, I decided to do the opposite.
The irony of it all is that, given the freedom now in England to so what I want, I am working as a analyst, dealing with loads of numbers and data and calculations and IT. And trying to study towards a second degree, this time in maths and economics.
Where does that leave me? With the thought that, given the freedom of doing anything in the world, without prejudice or rules or stereotypes, I would have been myself, instead of trying to rebel and go against expectations and rules.
I am now 28 years old and realising that growing up in a different society would have created a completely different life for me. I am still happy with mine, cause I have somehow managed to get back on some sort of track that makes me feel good, but where would I have been if it didn't take me so long to get here?
No comments:
Post a Comment