Man, I would like some beer. If I were to pick a beer out, it would surely be a red one. I am dying to get a sip of a red ale. I love the sweet and a little bit bitter taste. I guess I have no chance of getting one anytime today, as red ale is not so often in my home country, so I will settle with what I can find.
Any way, here is some information, if interested in beer :
There are three major beer styles : Lagers, Ales and Speciality Beers ( beers brewed with various non-standard ingredients).
Ale is a type of beer brewed from barley malt with a top fermenting brewers yeast that ferments quickly, giving a sweet, full body and a fruity, and sometimes butter-like, taste. Most ale contains some herb or spice, usually hops, which imparts a bitter, herbal flavour which balances the malt sweetness. As an appellative ale means any top-fermented beverage made from malt. They are low in carbonation and served warm. The temperature it ferments upon is 64–72°F (18–22°C).
Lager
From the German word to store, lagers represent a major family of beers. It is a pale, bottom-fermented beer of moderate strength that originated in Central Europe. Lager is fermented at much colder temperatures than top-fermented beers (between 32 and 50° F – 0 and 10 Celsius). Most German and North American beers are lagers.
Pilsner
A type of lager beer, first made in Czechoslovakia in the late 13th century.
Reinheitsgebot
A German purity law enacted in 1516 stipulating that beer can be made only from barley, hops, water, and yeast. One of the four principal ingredients of beer, hops are flower cones added to beer as a bittering agent, a preservative, and an aromatic. Yeast is a living plant microorganism that convert sugars to alcohol and carbon dioxide.
Weizenbier/WeissBier - my favourite!!
A general name for beers made from wheat by top fermentation (beer made with approximately one-third wheat malts); usually very pale and cloudy and effervescent
Top-Fermenting Yeast (Ale Yeast)
A style of yeast that works at cellar or warm temperatures and floats to the top of the beer. Ale yeasts are responsible for the creation of most beers other than lagers. However, this style of brewing is practiced mostly in England and very few breweries in the US use this type of yeast to produce real ales. Instead, US ales are made with a modified lagering process.
Bottom-fermenting Yeast (Lager Yeast)
The yeast used to ferment lagers. This yeast works at colder temperatures than ale yeast and settles to the bottom of the fermentation vessel.
Bitterness
The taste component added by hops.
The Radler is a beverage consisting of a 50%/50% or 60%/40% mixture of lager beer and German-style lemonade.
No comments:
Post a Comment