Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

When people ask and Google Suggests

I have come across a funny article on Google Suggestions. You know when you start typing anything on Google, it offers you some suggestions based on the most popular queries made on the same words (and your history, if you don't clear it after closing your browser).

1. Anyway, when people look for 'When will...' you get these suggestions:

Now, I find quite funny that the first to come up and further down the list we have 'When will I die /(quiz)'. People's interest about their own death date is a bit chilling, but not quite the same as the wish to know (again twice just as for 'when will i die') know when Twilight will appear out on DVD. That is some fan base. Maybe the 'when will I get married' is also connected to the same twilight interest or, instead of dying date, you could get married instead.

2. For 'why is my g...' you get:
Besides the explainable interest in your gas bill - with the economy and all, I really find it interesting how girlfriends blend with goldfish.

But the tone of all of them is negative: if your goldfish is turning black or swimming upside down - I guess that is because it's quite clear what has/is about to happen.

Maybe the same is going to happen to the partners asking Google (instead of their girlfriends) why she is mad/unhappy or ignoring them. She might also be crazy or moody, but then, you already have the answers to the feelings above.

3. 'It is impossible to...'

The lose weight part I understand, but the elbow licking huge interest it is absolutely hilarious. 2 out of 3 suggestions - I have even had a go myself and I cannot seem to be able to do it. But I just didn't have the urge to Google it.


4. 'Why do..'
Why do men really have nipples? That is a great question, I just wonder how many people have had that curiosity and Googled a reason for their nipples before it was so popular that is was included in the suggestions.








5. 'Can you...'

These days Google is used instead of a counsellor, a psychiatrist, a gynaecologist or anything. So, questions on pregnancy are predictable. I am just amused by the wish to freeze cheese - who would want to do that? Is there a Secret Freezing Cheese Society or a huge fan club of Cheese that they thought if they freeze it they could conserve it over centuries? Is the new trend Cheese cryogenation? Are you in?


6. 'Can Jes...'

You would definitely think of Jesus, which is perfectly normal. I thought of mundane things, such as Can Jesus save me/help me/ walk on water etc. Instead, the biggest question all the people are asking - and I must admit the creativity of this - Can Jesus microwave burritos? and for the true believer: Can Jesus save hollywood?



7. 'Can go...'

This is for the phylosophycal folks out there. Asking themselves deep questions such as 'Can god create a stone so heavy he cannot lift it' or if he 'can sin', obviously same people are sinners themselves with a cure for gonorrhea being number one.

The goldfish come back in force, this time competing with god for the top spot in Google sugestions.

No comments: