Pages

Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Social media start

So, I've been working in my current position for one year and half now. Being a college, social media is the first thing we should be doing since all market reports and all data shows that is the perfect audience to be engaging with.

In my first week on the job, I have told my manager I am interested in that field and that I would be more than happy to look into it, do it myself... anything really. "We are looking into it, so I will let you know". Nothing happened, you imagine.

1 year and half later, I told my manager I am thinking of quitting my job, for various reasons, amongst which, and maybe the most important: my brain cells are slowly dying. I need to find new challenges for my mind, not do admin work. Not saying that admin work is anything bad, but I really need to be doing something more, using my intelligence and my brain for seeing things from other perspectives, at a more complex level, solving problems, looking for new ideas and so on.

I have finally been given the task to produce a report - on why we should consider social media and how to do it.

It was great! I have read loads of data on social media, new internet trends, gathered loads of information on the target market and their likes, dislikes, then competitor analysis and how to overcome some of the concerns associated with social media. Then put together the strategy for social media and even did some mock ups on how all the pages are going to look.

Do you think my manager even bothered to read it? If I would ask him any of the information in there - like, let's say, if twitter users and different to facebook users and in what ways, how does that affect our strategy and core messages... nothing.

He didn't even bother to read it.

I got the go ahead anyway because of some (very incompetent) agency sold him an (very lame and boring) idea that my manager (being so boring and stuck in his own ways that there is no space for creativity left) loved.

To be continued with details on what I am doing and what problems I come across.

No comments: