Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

Facebook changes to Pages

Went onto our organisation's page this morning and kaplouie! They have apparently decided to change the way they present their pages. To start with, as I am the admin to multiple pages, I simply could find the "Manage pages" link any more under "Account" in the top right hand side of my profile.

I do have a link asking me to "Use Facebook as a Page" - this means that instead of using Facebook like an individual user - which everyone was doing up till now because you had to have a individual profile and you would access Facebook through it - you can now just use your facebook page directly.

With this new option you can see when people like any wall posts or anything that you upload as a notification, just like a individual profile would do. you also have the option to go back to use your profile instead of your page at any time.

but i still haven't been able to locate where I am switching from one page t the other, like I was allowed to do previously through "Manage Pages".

Other changes that I've noticed:

- the default view on the wall is now what everyone says, instead of just my posts - so all visitors to the page will be able to see anyone else's posts - this requires a more careful inspection if it can be changed and if anyonr posts anything bad, then that will instantly be viewed onto your wall - same goes, of course, for good things.

- your page's like are more proeminent on the left hand side

- on your home, you can see the news feed from all the pages you like, which could be quite good if you are in touch with local news stations and you see issues coming up or generally can get ideas for good PR opprtunities

- you can also export your facebook updates to twitter - I would be careful about this, as Facebook allows you more words - so I normally have the twitter updates written slightly different

Hope this was useful for all you confused users of Facebook - just like I am ...

No comments: