Today, a friend has reminded me about 10 years ago. And it suddenly got so weird thinking back at those moments. I can still close my eyes and see A. wearing his shorts, sandals and a T-shirt, long hair and so cute and tall, passing me and me thinking :”I wish that guy lost his birth certificate…”.
I was on my way to see this guy whose birth certificate I had just found on the street, tracked him through yellow pages and spoke to his father first. Then we arranged to meet up and I said I will be holding his papers in my hand – that’s how we were going to recognise eachother, as the meeting place was a bus stop (thinking back on that, I don’t know why we chose that?).
Some very ugly and dodgy guys were there, one guy had a rose (I prayed it wasn’t him), another one was dressed in a suit (I also prayed it wasn’t him) and then another guy was the same I passed on my way there (taking a detour to drop something over at my aunt’s) – I prayed it was him.
And guess, what? It was. I was also meant to have another date that evening with some guy, but when A. asked about wanting to go somewhere for a drink to thank me for finding his birth certificate, I forgot all about any previous engagements.
I don’t know if you can say it was love at first sight - but I think you can say I liked him at first sight. Then over the drinks that afternoon, then evening, I knew I wanted to see more of him.
Unfortunately, I do remember some things very vividly – like him sweating in the heat from having almost a litre of beer on his own – I didn’t want to give the wrong impression and didn’t have too much – I probably made up for that during our relationship :) and other things I don’t at all.
I remember talking about history, geography, psychology – and thinking he is extremely smart for any guy, especially one only 2 years older than me. It turned out that I was right. Throughout our relationship, he has taught me things I would’ve never knew, learnt or been exposed to if it wasn’t for him.
I had – and still do – huge amounts of respect for all of that. I always said that he made me the girl that I grew up to be. Or, at least, he contributed quite a lot. The relationship with him at that age gave me the confidence, the fun and the not-lost feeling that you need at that age.
I don’t remember how we continued to eventually see eachother, but 10 years ago today, a 17 year old girl and a 19 year old guy were having their first official relationship that ended with a kiss. It was the start of our relationship, a relationship that massively influenced the rest of my life.
I’ve always felt we never had – what they call “closure” – and maybe a relationship like that is never meant to have one. But I can say from my point of view that it wasn’t because I stopped loving him. Which was the hardest part to do. But he never wanted me back, so I guess I stopped it in time for us to remain friends. Which is great, because today A, my friend, has wished me “Happy birthday my dear Fluffy! Kisses, a rubber bone and a squeaky toy!” (translated from romanian)
What a lovely day to start your day!
No comments:
Post a Comment