Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The excavator tale

I was at Countryside Careers today - an event with school kinds all over Yorkshire ... blah, blah, blah ... job related.

Anyway, I wanted to do something fun, and as I was wearing a freaking skirt, so the climbing wall was suddenly not very attractive. Instead ... I learned how to manoeuvre an excavator! Whoo hoo!

It is a very tricky business you know. You sit in this tiny little chair with all these levers around you. And none of them do anything .... that is, before you actually turn the engine on.

So, switched the key, engine starts. At the end of the giant excavator arm, I have a hook that I need to use to lift a wheel. So, I practice first ... but it is very confusing. 2 hands, 2 levers, you would thinks it is pretty straight forward. One is up, one is down. One is right, one is left.

Well, let me tell you that would only happen if you had one hydraulic element in it. Instead, you have at least three. So, the right hand lever goes in all directions, each doing a specific job. And, the bloody machine is so sensitive!!

It's like a hormonal woman! I touched just a bit of the lever in the wrong way, it just goes ballistic and all my work is ruined and I have to start all over again. I am telling you ... getting the hook onto that wheel, carrying it for a few feet and then dropping it into a specific position ... was a nightmare. And I am not a very patient person either.

The only thought I had all the time was : leave me the hell out of here, I'll do it with my own hands, at least that will give me some control over it. But, of course, the pride of actually managing to put a leash on the beast gave me some satisfaction.

And, in the end, I put the wheel back in it's place, without flipping it on one side or anything.

In case my marketing career doesn't work out, I will always have this.

No comments: