Pages

Monday, May 28, 2012

How does it feel to fail?

I grew up in a culture and a family where failing was not an option. Not in the sense that if I would fail, then I will not get my allowance for the week or be punished to stay in my room and not go out with my friends. It was never in an option in the sense that it never existed in my trail of thoughts. 


I have never considered giving up something or that I will fail before starting to engage on a new journey. It has never crossed my mind that I might not be good enough or can't work hard enough. 


Of course it is always a matter of choice if you actually decide to work hard to get something. But Working Hard and not getting what you want at the end of it? NEVER!


The tyranny of always succeeding is following me till today in a culture that nourishes, helps and supports failure. Moreso, it encourages it by not actually unveiling it and dealing with the reasons for failure. 


It is a sort of culture that always drives you forward, forever improving, pushing for more and more. and these values are instilled to you as child. if something gets "too hard", you're never told, "it's ok, you can just give it up and start again later". It's always "I know it's hard, but you can do it". You don't even question "what happens if I just stop doing it" because it never crosses your mind. 


Not being given the option to fail is what makes you succeed. 


And then I move to another country, into a new culture and I am hitting myself against different mentalities of failure, elaborate reasons behind it (all of which are perfectly rational) and how to pep talk yourself when doing the smallest of thing that you're amazing for even managing that. 


So, getting back to my question, I was wondering how must it feel to fail? Maybe fail at being a husband, fail at your job, fail an exam or just fail the simplest of tasks when someone asks you to buy bread at the store. 





No comments: