Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Getting a job?

Getting a job at the moment is a bit of a pickle. This is not to say that there aren't jobs out there, but the job market is starting to reflect the financial markets situation, by slowing down and being cautious. 


And this comes on top of so many unemployed people already looking for work, graduates and young people all wanting a place under the sun. It was starting to get back to normal and now it's been hit hard in the head, so soon after it was only starting to find it's feet again.


I only talking about the UK market, I don't know about anywhere else. But this is only the beginning and it is probably going to go even quieter... unfortunately. So how to keep on going, trying to find something suitable in London? 


Hmm, I found that applying for jobs that your skills and experience match is quite a good thing. You will get at least a reply back - even an invite to an interview. Of course, at the interview there are many things that can go wrong. 


For me, it matters a lot that the interviewer is relaxed and friendly because I can then reflect that state and be myself - my personality comes across so much better with the right person. 


I guess that at the end of the day it's more like a day. If you like eachother and your personalities match, maybe he'll give you a call the second day. Because if you match perfectly to the job and so are others, then what is going to make the difference? Also, more often than all employers are ready to admit, there is so much subjectivity involved - just those small non-verbal clues. 


At the end of the day, everyone is looking for someone they can work with. Maybe a lot of people can do the job, who will fit in with you and your team? That is probably most hard to gather from an interview, so focused on skills and competencies and other blah-blah... If you make it easy for the employers and come across as this great person to work with, then there is nothing much you can do, right?


Well, at least in theory. I shall let you know if it has worked in practice. 



No comments: